>> Exterior view WorldCCBonn
Since the move of the German Bundestag (Lower House of the German Federal Parliament) to Berlin, the buildings in the former plenary sector of the German Bundestag have been used as an international congress centre (World Conference Center Bonn).
Where members of parliament debated in former times, important congresses and conferences – such as the International Sweet Water Conference or the World Nutrition Conference – are taking place today with more than thousands of participants.
In times when no congresses or conferences take place, the plenary hall can be visited by individuals or groups.
The “World Conference Center Bonn”, which is its official name today, is a building, part of which was the “Pädagogische Akademie Bonn”, the oldest part erected from 1930 – 33. In the middle of the 80s, the plenary hall’s increasing dilapidation justified a new building. During its period of construction the old waterworks located right at the Rhine became the temporary place of meeting of the German Bundestag. All important decisions about the reunion of Germany were made here. On October 30, 1992, the new plenary hall, which was erected according to the plans of architect Günter Behnisch and his partners, was inaugurated. Since the move of the Bundestag to Berlin in summer of 1999, the plenary hall has been used successfully as an international congress center.
On 15th May 2007 the foundations were laid for the extension of the World Conference Center, which will provide a space for 5,000 conference guests as of mid-2009.
World Conference Center Bonn
(German Federal Parliament Buildings with plenary hall and waterworks)
Telephone: +49 (0)2 28 / 92 67-0
Source: Tourismus&Congress GmbH Region Bonn/Rhein-Sieg/Ahrweiler