In the late 19th century, it was Bonn’s social centre. For many years the elegant Palais Schaumburg was then used for representative purposes by the respective chancellors
The Palais Schaumburg, which is located between the Office of the Federal Chancellor and the Villa Hammerschmidt, was acquired by the Federal Republic of Germany in 1949. It was built from 1858 – 1860. In 1890, Prince Adolf Wilhelm Victor zu Schaumburg-Lippe and his wife Wilhelmine Victoria von Preußen moved into the later Palais Schaumburg. In November 1949, the Palais became the house of the federal chancellor and office of the cabinet. Since its occupation by the new Office of the Federal Chancellor by Helmut Schmidt in 1974, the villa has mainly been used for representative purposes. Today, the house is the second headquarters of the federal chancellor.
Source: Tourismus&Congress GmbH Region Bonn/Rhein-Sieg/Ahrweiler