The Namen-Jesu-Kirche, which is located in the narrow Bonngasse, is hardly taken notice of by the passing people. This house of God, though, which was erected from 1668 – 1717, forms an important part of the so-called Jesuit-Gothic period, a style which goes far back into the past. Its Baroque façade belongs to the most beautiful ones in the Rhineland.
In 1686, Archbishop and Elector Maximilian Heinrich put the means for the construction of a new church at the disposal of the Jesuits, who had been living in Bonn since 1594 at that time. The Namen-Jesu-Kirche was constructed according to the plans of Jakob de Candrea and was consecrated by Elector Joseph Clemens in 1717. It was renovated after the 2nd World War, and the paintings from the period of foundation were all reconstructed. Since 1934, it has been serving as the catholic university church. Especially its mixture of various style elements makes this church become an interesting sight. The towers have Romanesque double windows, the middle of the church has Gothic lancet windows, and the columns bear Baroque decorations. From the original interior design, however, only parts of the pews and the pulpit (1698) are maintained still today. The remarkable high altar (Bartolomäus Dierix, around 1755) and the additional altars (Melchior Jouanny) come from the secularised Capuchin church, the Capuchin monastery which was pulled down in 1897. Due to the little difference in elevation between side and middle aisle, the church almost seems to be like a hall church. Even though the Namen-Jesu-Kirche is not that effective due to its location, it is definitely worth visiting.
Telephone: +49 (0)2 28 / 91 44 51-0
Source: Tourismus&Congress GmbH Region Bonn/Rhein-Sieg/Ahrweiler