At the end of the 12th century, the fortress Löwenburg was erected as a border fortifications of the Earl of Sayn against the Cologne fortresses of the Siebengebirge (Drachenfels and Wolkenburg). In 1247, they were mentioned in a document for the first time. Due to a wedding it became the property of the Löwenburger, and after their death in 1362 it became the property of the Messrs. von Heinsberg. Since the 16th century the long-stretched-out fortress in high altitude of the 13th century has been a ruins of a fortress. The long-stretched-out fore-fortress at the hillside is destroyed apart from little remains. What has been maintained are the cistern in the castle yard and two side walls of the former donjon. The surrounding outer bailey is mostly filled-up, but its walls with the two half towers are still standing almost completely today.
Tourismus Siebengebirge GmbH
Geschäftsstelle Bad Honnef
53604 Bad Honnef
Telephone: +49 (0)22 24 / 90 06 36
Source: Tourismus&Congress GmbH Region Bonn/Rhein-Sieg/Ahrweiler