In 1721, the castle, which goes back to the 12th century, was newly erected as a closed rectangular building. Since 1973, the Castle of Alfter has been serving as the “Alanus-Hochschule für bildende und musische Künste” (Alanus Academy for Visual and Fine Arts).
The origin of this castle goes back to the 12th century. After it was destroyed and re-established for a couple of times, it was reconstructed to become a Baroque castle in 1721. The two-floor manor-house with the flanking towers was mostly oriented at the successor buildings. In addition, a three-wing fore-fortress was erected. Since 1188, the Castle of Alfter was somehow connected with the marshal of Cologne. In 1445, the castle became the property of the Altgrafen and the later Princes zu Salm-Reifferscheidt-Dyck.
Today the castle accommodates the well-known “Alanus-Hochschule der bildenden Künste” (Alanus Academy for Visual and Fine Arts). The students’ final works are exhibited in the months of May, June and July each year and can be visited.
Am Rathaus 7
Telephone: +49 (0)2 28 / 64 84-0
Source: Tourismus&Congress GmbH Region Bonn/Rhein-Sieg/Ahrweiler